This story is part of Select's New & Notable column, where we highlight our favorite product launches, major sales, what we're buying and some of our latest recommendations and advice.
This week, we’ve highlighted HOKA’s latest running shoe, Bala’s newest exercise equipment, a smart air fryer oven from Tovala and more.
New this week
- HOKA released the Clifton 9 sneaker, a lighter, more cushioned update to the Clifton 8. The new running shoe weighs four grams less than the previous model, the brand says, and has an additional three millimeters of cushioning. The added cushioning gives the heel a more plush feel in addition to more height, said HOKA. The Clifton 9 is also designed with a gusseted tongue to prevent it from moving around while you’re running. You can purchase the shoe in men’s and women’s sizes, and in standard or wide widths.
- Bala added a new workout mat to its collection of exercise equipment. The Play Mat is a thinner version of the brand’s original Play Mat Plus — it’s 5mm thick instead of 8mm, making it more lightweight and easier to take with you to workout classes, the brand says. Bala is also launching a companion Play Mat Towel on Mar. 16, which is designed with an absorbent fabric and gripped underside to prevent slipping. Bala says the towel is especially useful during heated room exercises like hot yoga.
- Tovala — maker of smart countertop kitchen appliances — launched its Smart Oven Air Fryer, a less costly version of the brand’s Smart Oven Pro. Compared to the other model, the Smart Oven Air Fryer has a more powerful fan for air frying, the brand says, and offers five cooking modes instead of six: air fry, bake, broil, toast and reheat (the Smart Oven Pro offers these modes, plus steam). You can manually adjust cooking settings or use the oven’s built-in scanner to scan groceries from brands like Pillsbury, Amy’s, Eggo and more — the oven then automatically programs its cooking settings accordingly. Tovala is also a meal delivery service, and if you purchase the brand’s pre-made meals, you can scan them for easy cooking, too. The Smart Oven Air Fryer retails for $249, but if you order Tovala meals six times, you can get it for $99.
- Bedding, linens and loungewear brand Ettitude debuted a hand-washable Vegan Cashmere Throw. The 50-by-70 inch blanket is made from the brand’s CleanBamboo fabric, which the brand says replicates the soft feel of cashmere without the use of animal fibers.You can purchase the blanket, which has embroidered detailing and tassels, in Oat and Graphite colors.
- Caraway – which makes some of our favorite cookware – introduced its limited edition Copper Collection. You can now purchase the brand’s pots and pans with copper hardware in three new colors: Emerald, Stone and Midnight. The Copper Collection is available as a set that includes a fry pan, sauté pan, sauce pan and Dutch oven.
On sale this week
Here are some of our favorite ongoing sales from brands and retailers we think you should know about. Also check out our guide to the best President’s Day sales and President’s Day mattress sales, which we’re updating all weekend.
- SkinStore is offering 30% off sitewide with code CELEBRATE through Feb. 27.
- Evolvetogether is offering 20% off sitewide with code SELFCARE20 through Feb. 21.
- Sculpt Society is offering 15% off all equipment and athleisure through Feb. 20.
- Ruggable is offering 15% off sitewide through Feb. 22 and 15% off products on Amazon through Feb. 23.
- Fitbit is offering up to $50 off a selection of its fitness trackers through Feb. 20.
What we bought this week
"I'm almost embarrassed to say how long I waited to buy a new nonstick pan when my old one started losing its coat. I often switch between my cast iron and stainless steel pans, but still, it's been at least a president or two since I've upgraded. When it was finally time to say goodbye this month, I bought the Tramontina 10 inch Restaurant Fry pan. Constructed with cast-aluminum, the Tramontina has a PFOA-free nonstick coating, is lightweight and has a flared edge that makes it easy to flip fried eggs or slide any food onto a plate. Since I don't have a dishwasher or microwave, and have to heat everything on the stove top, the pan has already saved me hours of dishwashing time. You could say my life has been over easy ever since.” – Christina Colizza, editor
“There’s a narrow space in my at-home office I wanted to fill with some sort of console table, but I couldn't find one that fit until I stumbled upon Urban Outfitters’ Squiggle Bar Cart. It has a simple black frame and glass shelves, but the piece is dressed up with a wavy border around the top. The cart is only 10 inches deep, giving me enough room to decorate the shelves with cookbooks, vases and non-alcoholic wine and spirits while still fitting in my narrow space. The bar cart’s frame came fully assembled, so all I had to do was pop on the glass shelves – setup took less than five minutes. It’s one of my favorite furniture items I’ve ever purchased.” – Zoe Malin, associate updates editor
“I bought the HOKA Mach 5 sneakers and I feel like I’m walking on a Cloud. While running on the treadmill, I feel so supported and it makes working out much more enjoyable” — Becca Delman, commerce photo editor
Catch up on Select's in-depth coverage of personal finance, tech and tools, wellness and more, and follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to stay up to date.