Breaking News Emails
Production has resumed on the sixth and final season of "House of Cards," Netflix announced Wednesday, after the political thriller was shut down in October following allegations of sexual assault and harassment against series star Kevin Spacey.
Shortly after production was suspended, Netflix and studio Media Rights Capital announced that they were severing ties with Spacey, with Netflix also canceling a planned Gore Vidal biopic in which Spacey was to star.
Season 6 of the series will consist of eight episodes, with Robin Wright starring. Michael Kelly, Jayne Atkinson, Patricia Clarkson, Constance Zimmer, Derek Cecil, Campbell Scott and Boris McGiver will also star.
The show is one of Netflix's original breakout hits, having been nominated for 53 Emmys throughout its run.
In addition, Diane Lane and Greg Kinnear — both Academy Award nominees — have joined the final season. The details of their roles are being kept under wraps, but it is known the two will play siblings.
"House of Cards" is shot in Baltimore. Netflix's chief content officer, Ted Sarandos, said last month that he was gratified to have reached a deal to keep the show going for another season, keeping 370 people who directly work on the show employed.
Spacey was accused last year by Broadway veteran Anthony Rapp and Mexican actor Roberto Cavazos of inappropriate sexual behavior in years' past — coming in the wake of revelations of longstanding sexual harassment in Hollywood by powerful men.
Spacey's representatives said in November that the two-time Oscar winner "is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment."
Meanwhile, Netflix, already a huge buyer of programming, is jacking up its content budget for 2018 — projecting it will spend between $7 billion and $8 billion, up from $6 billion in 2017. The streamer's content slate for this year includes around 80 original films through productions or acquisitions, Sarandos said.