IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

NBC News Investigation: Carbon monoxide is killing public housing residents, but HUD doesn’t require detectors


A carbon monoxide leak in a South Carolina public housing complex killed two people last month and forced more than 400 people to evacuate, a NBC News investigation reveals. Kinterra Johnson, a 27-year-old single mother of three, was one of the evacuees and tells Gabe Gutierrez: “We’re just being swept under the rug – overlooked.” HUD says they are now reviewing their inspection procedures. We’ll have more from the investigation tonight on NBC Nightly News.