Americans are predicted to spend an average of $175 on Valentine’s Day gifts — at a total of approximately $24 billion, experts believe 2022 will be the second-highest year on record, according to new data from the National Retail Federation (NRF). That average covers gifts like candy, flowers, jewelry and more. The greater spending average is due primarily to increasing prices compared to previous years: Restaurants, which have struggled with labor shortages and higher food costs, are raising prices for popular Valentine’s Day meals, including a 154 percent price jump for filet mignon, according to data from personal finance site The Balance. The average price for a dozen roses also spiked 22 percent, assorted chocolates are up 9 percent and overall candy prices are seeing a 10 percent increase compared to last year.
SKIP AHEAD Ongoing sales to shop
If you’re still looking for some last-minute Valentine’s Day inspiration, we’ve compiled gift ideas for your significant other, friends and mother figures. We also highlighted some notable launches below from popular brands across Select reader favorite categories, including fitness and sleep.
Ruggable launches its all-new Shag Collection
Ruggable, a Select reader favorite for its machine-washable rugs, just launched an all-new collection of shag rugs. Made from polyester, these durable rugs show minimal change to texture after washing and drying and are designed to shed less than traditional shag rugs, according to the brand. The collection’s rugs are available in rectangle sizes up to 6 feet by 9 feet and offered in four colors: Egret White, Antique Ivory, Light Grey and Soft Pink.
Parachute introduces first-ever GOTS-Certified Organic Collection
Earlier this year, Parachute made a sustainability pledge that includes everything from becoming certified carbon neutral to introducing circular programs. Today, the brand made a step toward this pledge by launching its Organic Collection that comprises 22 products made from ethically harvested organic cotton, according to Parachute. The collection includes bedding sets, quilts, bath towels, loungewear and more. The products are available in seven different colors, including Reed, Bisque, Sand and Pebble.
Sportneer’s TrainNTrack Ankle Weights are now available
The TrainNTrack Ankle Weights, Sportneer’s latest release in the fitness space, are smart weights that feature a heart rate monitor to help determine your workout intensity as well as built-in sensors to track your exercise movements using the Sportneer app. Made up of iron filling, the brand says these ankle weights are soft, durable and easy to use — they start tracking your fitness goals right when you put them on, according to Sportneer.
Ongoing sales to shop this week
Below, we rounded up some ongoing sales across brands that we think you should know about.
- Outerknown is offering up to 60 percent off select styles through Feb. 13.
- Gravity Blankets is taking 30 percent off its Valentine’s Day shop through Feb. 15.
- 1-800-Flowers is offering 20 percent off Valentine's Day flowers, gifts, and more through Feb. 9 with the code VDAYSAVE.
- Bed Bath & Beyond is offering 20 percent off cookware during its Beyond Cooking Event through Feb. 21.
- Brooklyn Bedding is taking 20 percent off mattresses using the code WINTER20 through Feb. 10.
- Homesick is offering up to 20 percent off candles during its Valentine’s Day Sale.
- Plants.com is offering 20 percent off sitewide through Feb. 14.
- Boll & Branch is offering 15 percent off orders of $200 or more with code FRESH15.
- TUSHY is offering 14 percent off bidets through Feb. 14.
- EyeBuyDirect lets you buy one frame and get another one free with the code MORE2LOVE through Feb. 11.
- Milk Bar is offering free shipping on orders worth $75 and up through Feb. 14.
Catch up on Select's in-depth coverage of personal finance, tech and tools, wellness and more, and follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to stay up to date.