In many places, August heralds the end of summer and the beginning of the school year for students and parents alike, which means end-of-season sales on outdoor items and office supplies from a wide range of stores. The retail landscape is also changing significantly: While Walmart’s been slashing prices to clear out excess inventory, we’ve also seen price increases due to inflation. And though most surveyed Americans think a recession is likely within the next year, the National Retail Federation reports they’re still spending money.
With big words like “inflation” and “recession” at the top of mind, shoppers should think smartly about their purchases. “Bundling items and buying in bulk can certainly be a smart money-saving tactic for bigger families or groups of friends that divvy up items, from value packs and 2-for-1 promos,” said Vipin Porwal, consumer savings expert and founder of cashback browser extension Smarty. While some Americans are still shopping, others may opt to reuse backpacks or wait until holiday sales to buy new technology, thanks to inflated prices, Porwal said. He predicted those that do shop will be creative with how they take advantage of deals this month.
With that in mind, you — like many shoppers — may be hunting for deals, bulk sales and discounts before making a purchase. To give you an idea of the best sales and discounts during the month ahead, we consulted retail experts on what sales and items are worth considering, as well as what’s not worth shopping for right now (if you can wait).
Best August sales
We chose the sales below because we think you’ll find them interesting — they typically include multiple deals and, of course, not every single product in a sale will be the best deal around.
- Walmart: Up to 75% off select school supplies, up to 50% off pools and toys, up to 40% off select college picks, and up to 10% off fans
- REI: Up to 70% off camping and hiking deals, as well as fitness and running gear, up to 40% off kayaks, paddle boards and accessories
- Macy’s: Up to 70% off fine jewelry, up to 50% off daily beauty deals through Aug. 21, and up to 30% off Levi’s Denim for men and women
- Office Depot: Up to 60% off select school supplies, up to 50% off select furniture, and deals on technology
- Girlfriend Collective: Up to 60% off select sale styles, and 20% off sitewide for students and teachers
- Bed Bath and Beyond: Up to 50% off college essentials, as well as up to 20% off select small appliances
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: Up 50% off select items during the Back-to-Class event through Aug. 20 and up to 30% off select Nike products for a limited time
- Nike: Up to 50% off clearance and new markdowns
- Crate and Barrel: Up to 50% off select outdoor furniture and up to 30% off outdoor decor and more
- Adidas: Up to 50% off sale shoe and apparel styles
- Target: Up to 50% off college essentials, up to 40% off kitchen and dining items and 15% off select hair care tools
- Pottery Barn: Up to 50% off outdoor furniture while supplies last
- Alo Moves: 50% off monthly and annual memberships through Aug. 31. Alo Moves says it is offering a “lifetime lock” on this discount.
- Flybird Fitness: Up to 47% off sitewide
- Society6: Up to 40% off weekly deals on tapestries, backpacks and more through Aug. 24
- Alleyoop: Up to 40% off sitewide through Aug. 31
- Columbia: 40% off select gear during the Summer Sale
- Home Depot: Up to 40% off select bathroom supplies and 25% off storage
- Rifle Paper Co.: Up to 35% off select sale products like notebook sets, puzzles and more
- Solo Stove: Up to 35% off fire pits and accessories, as well as 25% off the Pi Pizza Oven
- Knix: Up to 30% off last call bras, apparel, swim and underwear
- Aerogarden: Up to 30% off select garden kits
- Dormify: Get an extra 30% off sale items with code EXTRA30
- The Company Store: Up to 30% off during the Semi-Annual sale through Aug. 28
- Bear Mattress: 30% off sitewide during the Labor Day Sale
- Dermstore: Up to 25% off select items during the Anniversary Sale with code CHEERS through Aug. 17
- Brooklyn Bedding: 25% off sitewide with code SCHOOL25 ending Aug. 18
- Madewell: 20% off for college students and teachers through Aug. 29
- Apt2B: 15% off sitewide during the Bigger & Better Sale
- Dyson: Up to $170 off select Dyson products
Best August deals
We rounded up the best ongoing deals on highly rated products Select readers have shown an interest in or that we think you should know about. We relied on price tracking tools like Honey and CamelCamelCamel to note the value of each discount.
This affordable air fryer has two knobs, one to set cooking time (which goes up to 60 minutes) and a second to adjust the temperature (between 175 and 400 degrees Fahrenheit). According to the brand, the air fryer shuts off when the food is done cooking and its basket is dishwasher safe. The air fryer has a 4.6-star average rating from over 3,700 reviews at Amazon.
The Tempo running shorts from Nike are among our favorites. Nike says they’re sweat-wicking and they have mesh-sides for ventilation. The shorts are available in sizes XS to 3XL and are available in a wide variety of colors, though not every color is on sale for the same price.
What to buy in August
August should be about upgrading the whole family — even as sales target students — according to Porwal. Experienced shoppers know there are big savings during Back to School and end-of-season sales this month, he said, which include deals on school supplies but also home items. These deals may include traditional school supplies like backpacks and pens, or technology like tablets and laptops for student usage. Traditionally, dorm décor and necessities like pillows, shower curtains, and trash cans go on sale around this time of year, too.
Porwal also noted there are some “savings opportunities that get overlooked” around this time. He said to anticipate “deep discounting” on dark-horse categories like musical instruments, prescription eyewear and exams and home and office technology like printers, computer monitors, software packages, and internet networking gear.
End-of-season deals have historically included discounts on outdoor equipment like tents, grills, hammocks, and camping chairs, as well as patio furniture. During the last week in August, Porwal advised, shoppers will likely see pre-Labor Day sales, with discounts up to 50% off sporting and outdoor items, swimwear and yard supplies, as well as other seasonal outdoor items.
What to skip in August
If you’re looking for video game consoles, TVs and other electronics, Porwal suggested waiting until early Black Friday deals, “when nearly every retailer features these items at their lowest prices.”
Additionally, Porwal mentioned that jeans and denim products may be discounted this month but should be at lower prices as the seasons change.