September is the beginning of the fall season — as well as the start of the school year. While smart shoppers finished the bulk of their back-to-school buying in August, The NPD Group found that 41% of surveyed shoppers were still waiting for deals on school supplies into September. Earlier this summer, the National Retail Federation reported that families have even cut back spending in other areas to cover the costs of basic school necessities for their children.
Across the board, shoppers are looking to reduce their spending. This year, the NPD Group reported Americans are eating more meals at home and shopping at bargain grocery stores compared to 2021. And various retailers — Gap, Peloton, Best Buy, and Nordstrom, to name a few — are seeing their sales drop and revising their full-year financial forecasts.
With that in mind, deals, bulk sales and discounts are more important than ever. To give you an idea of the best sales and discounts during the month ahead, we consulted retail experts on what’s worth considering, as well as what’s not worth shopping for right now.
Best September sales
We chose the sales below because we think you’ll find them interesting — they typically include multiple deals and, of course, not every single product in a sale will be the best deal around.
- Macy’s: Up to 75% off suits, blazers and pants
- Rugs USA: Up to 75% off area rugs
- Backcountry: Up to 70% off select fall outdoor apparel, gear and accessories
- Lowe’s: Up to 50% off patio furniture and accessories, 45% off ceiling fans and lighting, up to 40% off faucets and shower heads and other deals
- Ulta: Up to 50% off daily deals through Sept. 17 during the 21 Days of Beauty
- Sephora: Up to 50% off select beauty products through Sept. 17
- Sur La Table: Up to 50% off sitewide during the Anniversary Sale
- Home Depot: Up to 50% off select vanities and faucets, and other fall savings on appliances
- Flybird Fitness: Up to 47% off select products and an extra 10% off with code FLYBIRD
- Williams Sonoma: Up to 40% off select Le Creuset cookware and Staub cookware, among other limited time offers
- Dr. Martens: Up to 40% off select boots and sandals
- Target: Up to 35% off speakers and headphones, 25% off furniture and home decor and other online exclusive deals
- Everlane: Up to 30% off your purchase during the fall savings event
- The Company Store: Up to 30% off sitewide during the Semi-Annual Sale
- Sand & Sky: Up to 30% off bundles
- Cozy Earth: Up to 25% off sitewide
- Walmart: Up to 25% off sports and outdoor gear and 20% off TVs
- Skinstore: Up to 25% off select body care
- BioBidet: 25% off select bidets
- Brooklyn Bedding: 20% off mattresses ending Sept. 20
- BaubleBar: 20% off bracelets with code TWENTY
- Plants.com: Up to 20% off sale plants
Best September deals
We rounded up the best ongoing deals on highly rated products Select readers have shown an interest in or that we think you should know about. We relied on price tracking tools like Honey and CamelCamelCamel to note the value of each discount.
This dog bed has a removable canopy to create shaded and unshaded spaces. Our experts previously told us that regardless of your environment, a raised bed like this one can be a good option, and the use of a mesh material allows air to circulate well.
This expert-recommended moisturizer for people with dry skin is formulated with hyaluronic acid, as well as other moisturizing and barrier-forming ingredients. Neutrogena says it absorbs quickly so you can wear it under makeup.
What to buy in September
Shoppers looking for a discount on tech this month should look at previous generations of models, rather than those that are newly released, according to Kristin McGrath, shopping expert at coupon finder RetailMeNot. However, if you really want the latest model and are willing to pay full price, McGrath said September will be a good time to buy “before supply chains and high holiday demand creep in.”
Retailers are expected to start releasing their annual toy lists this month, which means possibly announcing special discount events to drive pre-holiday hype. Much like the tech this month, shoppers may not find deals on new or popular toys, but they may have an easier time buying these toys before demand increases around the holidays.
Even though peak travel season has come to a close, those looking ahead to their next getaway will find good deals on vacation packages, cruises and hotel rooms this month, as travel providers try to entice travelers during the down-season ahead of the holidays.
What to skip in September
September isn’t the best time to find clothing deals on fall and winter apparel, as they’re just hitting the racks. Wait a little longer — shoppers will begin to see deals on cold weather clothing towards the end of the fall season.
For those looking for more options in deals on tech and TVs, McGrath advised waiting for holiday sales when pretty much everything will be discounted.
McGrath noted early Black Friday deals could start as early as mid-October, so any shoppers holding off for better and widespread discounts will not have to wait much longer to see those sales.